It is time to summing up the SharePoint Conference 2009 in Las Vegas. There was so much information and so much fun for all us +7000 SharePoint nerds. Me and my travel mate, MVP Göran Husman sometimes get lost in the huge casinos, but once we found our way out there we where in the SharePoint heaven.
SharePoint 2010 is now a broader solution than ever and it has a large number of nice key features like for example BCS, External lists, Enterprise content types, Social features, theme editor for the end users, cross platform support with WCAG standards, Client Object Model, Ribbons & Dialogs, Sandbox solutions, Silverlight, the improved mobile access, support for large lists, document sets and so much more..
Now onto SharePoint Designer 2010, the tool that I basically use in my work as a consultant and trainer. During this week I was attending several sessions about this subject, with great speakers like Asif Rehmani, Dustin Miller and Heather Solomon.
SharePoint Designer has now increased its value and it is the main tool for none-code solutions in SharePoint 2010
SharePoint Designer 2010 – Learn it, live it and love it!
Some SPD 2010 hotspots:
• The layout and the look and feel is more like the other Office applications
• CSS remaked
• MasterPages with only DIVs
• No folderbased navigation
• Site Assets, a new resource place for your Jquery plugins e t c
• When you open a site, you will now see the sites backstage, like a dashboard containing all what you need to know before you do anything in SPD
• Work with lists just like we did in browser in the previous version
• SPD 2010 will only work with SP 2010, and has no support for Front Page Server Extesion, WebDAV or FTP
• Significant improved WF designer: Site WFs, export and import options to Info Visio
• Create external content types (ECT) makes it possible to connect to and interact with data from back-end system
• XSLTListViewWebPart, like a powefull combination of the DVWP and LVWP that shows information from lists. It has also visual templates for boxed views
• Improved formula designer
• SPD can now change a lists schema
• Crate lists or librarys in SPD
• Sandbox solutins, create WSPs from SPD
• Mange site permissions